Thursday, March 25, 2010

Horatio Spafford

You may not recognize the name. He is the man who wrote "It is Well With My Soul". I love that church hymn. Throughout my struggles since becoming a Christian, I would sing this song with conviction and tears.


Here is the story behind the song: Horatio and his wife lived in Chicago late 1800's. They had 4 daughters and 1 son. They loved the Lord and served him in many ways. They began to have struggles in their lives. They lost their little son to a disease. The lived through the "Chicago Fires" but lost most all their finances. They decided to go to Europe and just as they were to leave, Horatio had a business emergency, so he sent his wife and daughters on ahead on a ship. Soon he received word that the ship they were on was hit by another and sank. His wife barely survived and his daughters had drowned. He penned these words soon after.

When peace like a river attendth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,

It is well, it is well with my soul.

The rest of the song is just as beautiful. They went on to have 3 more children. Two girls and a boy, the boy died of a disease when small buy they kept their faith because they felt God's presence in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment